There are a good number of nursing schools in South Africa with the best teaching practices and facilities that aim to produce high-quality nurses.
The role of a nurse is a very important one that requires commitment, patience and service. A nurse is responsible for the healthcare of patients in the hospital. They aid in the recovery process and ensure that the patient has all the needed attention and care during their stay at the hospital.
The duties of a nurse aim to assist the doctor in the treatment of patients. This means a nurse must also know have knowledge of medicine and how to provide medical care. Thus, aspiring nurses must go to high-quality nursing schools to gain the right skills.
Below are the Top 10 Nursing Schools in South Africa which are known to train the best nurses in the country.
- 1 1. Thuto Bophelo Nursing Academy
- 2 2. Ann Latsky Nursing College
- 3 3. Chatsmed Candlelight Nursing School
- 4 4. Future Nurses Nursing School
- 5 5. UKWAZI School of Nursing PTY LTD
- 6 6. Africa Health Care (AHC) Nursing College
- 7 7. Letjhabile-Libalele Nursing College
- 8 8. Netcare Education’s Faculty of Nursing and Ancillary Healthcare (FNAH)
- 9 9. Mpilo Royal™ College of Health Education
- 10 10. Lilitha College of Nursing
1. Thuto Bophelo Nursing Academy
Thuto Bophelo Nursing Academy is a top nursing school in South Africa. It was established to provide excellent nursing services that aim at producing high-quality nurses. They are registered with the South African Nursing Council.
Thuto Bophelo Nursing Academy is affiliated to several healthcare facilities through which they provide a more practical teaching approach. These healthcare facilities include:
- Pretoria Heart Mediclinic Hospital
- Pretoria Gynaecological Mediclinic Hospital
- Legae Mediclinic Hospital
- Kalafong Hospital (Government)
- Medkind Cure day Clinic
- Medforum Mediclinic Hospital
- Centurion Council for the Aged
- Medstep Clinic
Thuto Bophelo Nursing Academy offers a 2-year full time bridging course that trains students to become general nurses.
2. Ann Latsky Nursing College
Ann Latsky Nursing College is part of the University of Witwatersrand. It was initially called the Witwatersrand College of Nursing when it was founded in 1951 to provided training to potential nurses in South Africa. Its name was changed in 1980 to Ann Latsky Nursing College in the honor of the first principal, Dr. Ann Latsky.
The nursing school is accredited by the South African Nursing Council.
3. Chatsmed Candlelight Nursing School
Chatsmed Candlelight Nursing School was accredited by the South African Nursing Council in 1997 to provide nurse training services to the general public. However, it started training professional nurses in 2002.
Chatsmed Candlelight Nursing School offers a two-year program leading to registration as a general nurse. The school has one of the best teaching facilities among nursing schools in South Africa.
Chatsmed Candlelight Nursing School has four campuses in different parts of the country. These campuses include:
- Durban Campus
- Mthatha Campus
- Eshowe Campus
- Stanger Campus
4. Future Nurses Nursing School
Future Nurses Nursing School was established in 2003. The nursing school provides nurse training to over 100 individuals who qualify for its program every year.
Future Nurses Nursing School is considered as one of the best nursing schools in South Africa due to its teaching practices and the availability of nursing facilities needed to train professional nurses.
It is accredited by the South African Nursing Council to offer training to individuals to become auxiliary nurses. Its course is a 1-year program which consists of theory and practical work.
5. UKWAZI School of Nursing PTY LTD
UKWAZI School of Nursing PTY LTD was established in 2002 and accredited by the South African Nursing Council in 2003. It is registered as a Private Higher Education Institution with the Department of Higher Education.
Its main campus is in Roodepoort, Gauteng, South Africa. It also has another campus in Potchefstroom, North West Province, South Africa. The nursing school offers two nursing programs:
- A 1-year programme which provides a Higher Certificate in Auxiliary Nursing
- A 3-year programme which provides a Diploma in Nursing: Staff Nurse (General Nurse)
6. Africa Health Care (AHC) Nursing College
Africa Health Care (AHC) is a healthcare services company that provides healthcare solutions and healthcare facilities management to the general public. They own a number of hospitals, pharmacies, and a nursing college.
It’s nursing college is one of the best in South Africa as its nursing students are exposed to a more practical side of nursing.
They offer the following courses:
- Bridging Course that leads to registration as a general nurse
- First Aid Training
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
7. Letjhabile-Libalele Nursing College
Letjhabile-Libalele Nursing College is private-public mix college in Althea Estates, Walkerville, South Africa.
The school was accredited by the South African Nursing Council in 1996. It started offering its teaching services in 1997.
Letjhabile-Libalele Nursing College offers a 2-year programme which leads to registration as a Registered Nurse. Its courses are offered on a full-time basis and admission into the college is based on an entrance exam.
8. Netcare Education’s Faculty of Nursing and Ancillary Healthcare (FNAH)
Netcare Education’s Faculty of Nursing and Ancillary Healthcare (FNAH) is a part of the Netcare Education. It aims to develop the practical skills and clinical knowledge of nursing students through experience.
It is one of the best nursing schools in South Africa due to the high teaching standards and the top nursing facilities it offers.
It offers the following courses:
- Bridging Course
- Advanced Diploma / Post Basic Diploma in Medical-Surgical Nursing
9. Mpilo Royal™ College of Health Education
Mpilo Royal™ College of Health Education was established in 2006 to provide and promote education in the health sector. It is accredited by various institutions in South Africa to provide nursing training.
The college offers the following nursing courses:
- Diploma in Nursing: Staff Nurse NQF Level 6: (3-year programme)
- Advanced Diploma in Midwifery NQF Level 7 (1-year programme)
Mpilo Royal™ College of Health Education is partnered with FUNDI which offers financing options to its nursing students.
10. Lilitha College of Nursing
Lilitha College of Nursing is a top nursing school in South Africa with several affiliations to top hospitals in the country. It boasts of the best nursing facilities and teaching professionals who train professional nurses using the right teaching practices.
The nursing school offers the following courses:
- Diploma in Nursing (General Community, Psychiatry) and Midwifery: R425 – (4-year programme)
- Diploma in General Nursing Science (Bridging Course): R683 – (2-year programme)
- Diploma in One Year Midwifery: R254 – (1-year programme)
- Diploma In Community Nursing Science: R276 – (1-year programme)
- Diploma In Psychiatric Nursing Science: R880 – (1-year programme)
Lilitha College of Nursing has five campuses which are located in different parts of the country.
Its campuses include:
- East London Main Campus
- Lusikisiki Main Campus
- Mthatha Main Campus
- Port Elizabeth Main Campus
- Queenstown Main Campus