JAMB Syllabus for English language is available in pdf for download here. Below is the JAMB syllabus for English Language. It is categorized in three topics, under each topic is objective (what student should be able to know after reading the topic) content (the content in the topic).
If you are looking for a place to get the latest version of jamb English language syllabus for 2021/2022 and also English language key points then this is the right place. We have made everything easy, arranged the syllabus in a way that you can access them easily without having any difficulties.
JAMB Syllabus For English Language
1) Comprehension / Summary
(i) Each of the four passages to be set (one will be a cloze test) should reflect various disciplines and be about 400 words long.
(ii) Questions on passages will test the; following:
(a) Comprehension of the whole or part of each passage.
(b) Comprehension of words, phrases, clauses, sentences, figures of speech and idioms as used in the passages.
(c) Coherence and logical reasoning (deductions, inferences, etc)
(d) Synthesis of ideas from the passages
(2.1) Lexis and Structure
- clause and sentence patterns
- word classes and their functions
- mood, tense, aspect, number, agreement/concord, degree (positive, comparative and superlative) and question tags
- punctuation and spelling
- ordinary usage (words in their denotative or dictionary sense), figurative usage (expressions used in ways other than
literal) and idiomatic usage (expressions whose meanings cannot be determined through a mere combination of
individual words) are to be tested.
(2.2) Oral Forms
- Vowels (monophthongs and diphthongs
- Consonants (including clusters)
- Rhymes (homophones)
- Stress (word, sentence and emphatic)
JAMB ENGLISH SYLLABUS RECOMMENDED TEXTS
- Attah, M. O. (2013) Practice in Spoken English for Intermediate and Advanced Learners, Maiduguri: University of Maiduguri Press
- Bamgbose, A. (2002) English Lexis and Structure for Senior Secondary Schools and colleges (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Banjo, A. et al (2004) New Oxford Secondary English Course Book Six for Senior Secondary Schools, Ibadan: UP Plc.
- Caesar, O. J. (2003) Essential Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Lagos: Tonad Publishers Limited
- Daniel Jones (2011) Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Egbe, D. I (1996) Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills, Lagos: Tisons
- Elugbe, B. (2000) Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Ibadan: Heinemann
- Grant, N. J. H, Nnamonu, S. Jowitt, D. (1998) Senior English Project 3, (New Edition) Harlow: Longman
- Idowu, O. O, Sogbeson, T. S, Adofo, A. K. Burgess, D. F and Burgess, L. J. (1998) Round-up English: A Complete Guide, Lagos: Longman
- Idris, U. (2001) Oral English at Your Fingertips for Schools and Colleges, Lagos, M. Youngbrain Publishers
- Igiligi, E. C. and Ogenyi, S. O. (2010) Grammar and Composition in the G.S.M. Age, Enugu: Joe Hills Production Services
- Jauro, L. B. (2013) Oral English for Schools and Colleges: A teaching and Learning Approach, Yola: Paraclete Publishers.
- Nnamonu, S. and Jowitt, D. (1989) Common Errors in English, Lagos: Longman
- Obinna, M. F. (2001) University Matriculation Use of English,(Fourth Edition) Port Harcourt: Sunray Books Limited
- Ogunsanwo, O. Duruaku, A. B.C, Ezechukwu, J and Nwachukwu, U. I (2005) Countdown English Language, (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Evans
- Olatoye, S. (2006) The Silent Teacher, Ado-Ekiti: Segun and Sons Enterprises
- Oluikpe, B. O. A, nnaemeka, B. A, Obah, T. Y, Otagburuagu, E. J. Onuigbo, S. and Ogbonna, E. A. (1998) Intensive English for Senior Secondary School 3, Onitsha: Africana – FIRST Publisher.
- Tomori, S. H. O (2000) Objective Tests for School Certificate English: Practice in Lexis, Structure and Idiom (Reprinted Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Ukwuegbu, C, Okoro, O., Idris, A. U., Okebukola, F. O. and Owokade, C. O. (2002) Catch-up English for SSCE/UME, Ibadan: Heinemann.